Just like all types of photography, boudoir photography is no different in that your style defines you. So what do you when it comes time to decide whether to use natural light or studio lights. Of course utilizing both can be beneficial to your company, but in this article we will discuss the pros & cons of each!
PROS OF USING NATURAL LIGHT
• No studio required
• Window light is soft and forgiving to the skin
• No light stands to carry around…less equipment!
• You can shoot anywhere…boudoir in the streets, now we’re talking!!
• It’s free, no replacing expensive bulbs!
• It can be less intimidating to the client, no big light hovering over them!
Example of natural light image shot by Moscaphoto.com
CONS OF USING NATURAL LIGHT
• You are limited by time and availability
• In some parts of the country it may make your seasonal
• If you want to shoot inside, you are limited to where there is a window
• The majority shooters use natural light, therefore you are less likely to stand apart
PROS OF USING STUDIO LIGHTS
• You can have 100% control of your light
• You can shoot anytime, anywhere
• A variety of lights can be used to create different moods (drama, drama, drama)
• You can position lights to create and control shadows
• If you have a studio lights they can be set up the same, therefore creating consistency
Example of studio light image shot by gré – Kelly Segré
CONS OF USING STUDIO LIGHTS
• There is a learning curve, using studio lights wrong just looks bad!
• It can get expensive
• Locations (including hotels) may require permits if they see “professional equipment”
• It requires more set up time
• Requires space if used indoors